Monday, November 14, 2016

Thoughts on Why I Should've Moved Out...

I go to community college. I commute five days a week from my parents' house to school. It's exhausting - physically, mentally, and wallet-ly. But it makes sense. Better to pay $27 for a full tank of gas every so often than $400+ in rent every month. That makes sense, right? Please tell me that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that it makes sense. But I'm starting think that maybe my sanity wouldn't be in jeopardy if I had moved out...

Here's the thing. I love my parents. My mom is the best. But...this house that I live in? It's about as right-wing as you can get. I, on the other hand, lean a bit more left than my family would prefer. I also don't identify with a specific political party. I vote for whoever I feel will do a good job. And knowing that, I've come realize some things over the last few months.

1. People like to be inclusive...in a bad way. They hear about some millennials discussing "entitlement" and immediately like to say things along the lines of "Millennials are a bunch of whiny babies that think they're entitled to everything." To me, that implies my entire generation. That's a crap ton of people. And I have yet to meet a millennial that thinks they're entitled to anything. And I really don't think it has anything to do with me being from a small town. Stop lumping us together.

2. People like to complain about Chicago. Even people who have never been to Chicago like to complain about it. I LOVE CHICAGO! I almost went to college there! Every time I'm there, I fall in love with the city in a new way. I was not born to live among cornfields and cattle. Give me city lights and the diversity of the streets. It is there I find peace. But for those who complain about Chicago...either it's election season, you've never been there, or you don't know how to experience the city. At least that's what I've seen.

3. A lot of people (more than I ever thought) care more about the Second Amendment than the First Amendment. There's a reason the Second Amendment comes second. Just sayin'. It breaks my heart to hear people threaten those who exercise their First Amendment rights. Flag burning and kneeling during the national anthem are peaceful forms of protest. Does it make people uncomfortable? Yes. Do you have to agree with it? No. Should those who kneeled/burned a flag be imprisoned or worse? Absolutely not. If you want your precious Second Amendment protected, you have to protect the one that comes before it. If guns mean so dang much to you and free speech doesn't, write your congressman and tell them that you want the First Amendment repealed. You can do that, because it's freedom of speech. Might want to think about that before you compose that email.

4. Being the only liberal in a conservative family is so stinking hard. You hear things. You hear horrible, gut-wrenching statements directed at the people/ideas that you believe in. You cry a lot and almost throw up every time someone directly quotes Fox News, because they're totally not biased (that's sarcasm, if you can't tell). And you can't say a word in your defense, because you'll be cut off mid-sentence and called a communist.

Long story short, I really think I should've moved out. I'd be broke, but I'd be happy. I guess that's about it. Take care of yourselves. Take care of each other. End of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment